2006/10/15

Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit, Mountain View, CA

For the last week I have been in California for some work and now for the Summer of Code Mentor Summit. If you don't know what Google Summer of Code is you should probably look here. Google wanted a follow-up on their program and invited two people from each successful organization to Mountain View, CA to discuss between mentors how we can improve this to next year.

It has been a wonderful day at Googleplex with lot of sessions, meetings and cold soda. We really got to discuss all the problems that we encountered during the program and made some real progress on how we want to work it out next year. It's funny how much energy it gives you to discuss open source things with open source developers. I am really looking forward to mentor students next summer and I really think I can be a better mentor by really treating the students as students and not "yet-another-opensource-developer".

Apart from discussing the SoC program I found some really nice guys that I got the chance to talk code with. Me and Seb Ruiz (from Amarok fame) had a very productive talk on how we could help each other and share code / standards between XMMS2 and Amarok. Great things might come from this. And I had a lot of time to spend with Ralph Giles from Xiph talking about everything from an XMMS2 ogg-demuxer and the future of vorbis.

All in all I had a wonderful time and I am really happy that I had the chance to be here with all of you.

p.s. Chris DiBona uses XMMS2, cool :-) d.s.

No comments: